‘Slack2Watson (1): Connect API Connect to Serverless OpenWhisk’ is part 1 of an application called Slack2Watson, which integrates a ChatBot into Slack and allows you to retrieve information about events via Slash Commands in Slack. In part 1, I will set up the ‘API Connect’ service and link the APIs in ‘API Connect’ to the OpenWhisk functions.
Integration is managed using API management in ‘API Connect,’ serverless or event-based APIs in OpenWhisk, and IBM Watson to create the Conversation bot. Some data is retrieved via Google Sheets API.
- Create API Connect API v1.0.0
- Publish the API
- Create an OpenWhisk action
- Connect API Connect to OpenWhisk
This tutorial uses the OpenWhisk service and the API Connect service on http://bluemix.net, the IBM Cloud. Create an account on IBM Bluemix to run this tutorial.
1. Create API Connect API v1.0.0
- Go to the Bluemix Catalog,
- In the left menu select the ‘APIs’ category, and click the ‘API Connect’ service,
- Click the ‘CREATE’ button to create the ‘API Connect’ service,
- Click the ‘Sandbox’ icon to go to the Sandbox view with a list of products, which currently says ‘There are no products available in the selected catalog.’,
- Go to the ‘Navigate to’ icon next to the ‘Home’ icon, and click ‘Drafts’, which will take you by default to the ‘Drafts’ view in the ‘Designer’ perspective,
- In the ‘Drafts’ view, you see a ‘Products’ tab and an ‘APIs’ tab, click the ‘APIs’ tab,
- Click the ‘ADD’ button and add a ‘New API’ titled ‘<username>-slack2watson’
- Title: ‘<username>-slack2watson’
- Name: ‘<username>-slack2watson’
- Base Path: /slack2watson
- Version: 1.0.0